The 85th Jockey Club Gold Cup
10th @ Belmont
All carry 126
1. Quest...Prado...Just ran the race of his life and scored, albeit in allowance company. Nice record at Belmont, and good connections. Probably not ready for this level yet.
2. Moon Ballad...Bailey...Looks like he'll like the dirt as he ran nicely in the desert earlier in the year. Quite adept on the weeds as well. First lasix might help him capture 2nd. Bailey won't hurt either.
3. Mineshaft...Albarado...Ran as impressive of a race in the Woodward as I have seen since Skip Away's tour de force 5 years ago. (Has it really been 5 years?) This guy cruised up to the lead and drew off all on his own. He'll need no map to the winner's circle, and this should set him up nicely for the Breeders' Cup Classic where he is likely to be favored. Only 3/4 of a length from going for his 11th in a row. Has been over 3-1 only once in those 11 starts. The obvious choice in his 2nd to last race.
4. Evening Attire...Guidry...He's run some nice races this year but has always come up short in the BIG ones. Won this race last year, but let's face it, there was no Mineshaft in this last year. Should be holding off MOon Ballad for 2nd.
5. State Shinto...Migliore...No doubts McLaughlin has had a stellar year on this track, but this guy is not nearly fast enough for these. Puzzlement beat him by 14 in the grade 2 Saratoga BC Handicap.
Mineshaft is a no-brainer here. Trick will be not to take to much out of him.
Evening Attire should end up 2nd. I doubt there's much danger he'll press the winner.
2. Evening Attire
Best of luck everyone!
© 2003 bBra