The 46th Donn Handicap
10th @ Gulfstream
2. Puzzlement...Chavez/115...This guy has given me fits over the last two years. This race will probably be no exception. His works don't look good. He ran a bang-up race prior just off the layoff. But he has had plenty of time to recover. Major talent at the helm, and on his back. What to do? I'll play him to back up a bit and finish 2nd-3rd, or out.
3. Medaglia D'oro...Bailey...He has been off for awhile but always runs well fresh. Frankel, though he had a killer early portion of last year, seems to have cooled off a bit. Turns back from 10 to 9, which is arguably his best. Sure, he's been off a while, but he is working up a storm. BIG time candidate for HOY here. The logical choice.
4. Predawn Raid...Coa/112...Just ran the race of his life against lesser. He's going to react backwards.
5. Funny Cide...Santos/119...Looked like a $illion in his comeback race. That might not have been enough for this. And considering how he ended last year, I can't help but think it's too early for these. But if he wins, lookout! We could have a major star in the making. He's earning the gate proceeds today, not America, or whoever is scheduled. The trip over the strip will give him an edge. Will it be enough?
6. Bowman's Band...Dominguez/116...Sure looks good at this distance. How many times has Jerkens scored in this position? Can potentially push a pretty harsh pace. I'll definitely use.
7. Seattle Fitz...Velez...Scored a nice one last over the inner at Aqueduct. Other than that, minor showings have been the rule at this level. McLaughlin winning 67% from 12 starts as of yesterday. Ouch! This field is so good that some surprising ones will have to be left out. He's one.
8. The Judge Sez Who...Velasquez/112...I say WHY?
If Medaglia D'oro is right, he wins easily. No way to tell if Bobby's magic is still what it was. But he is the obvious choice given his past.
I'll be watching Bowman's Band with interest here. Jerkens, plus I think he could be a major player this year, or will he be a Puzzlement?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Funny Cide romp. I just don't think he will.
Country Be Gold could invade the Super at huge odds. Hey, it beats Puzzlement at 7/2!
1. Medaglia D'oro
2. Bowman's Band
3. Funny Cide
Best of luck everyone!
© 2004 bBra