The 58th Fountain Of Youth Stakes
11th at Gulfstream
1. Sir Oscar...Garcia./122...Undefeated in 6 starts, and they weren't against all cupcakes either. Comes in with 5 bullet works since January 1. Normally, I'd say all systems are go, however, he may not appreciate the added distance in this company. Question will be his price. Azpurua is 0 for 12 in graded stakes.
2. Frisky Spider...King/116...The Frisk Me Now crew brings in one of his sons and he's also undefeated. Could very well steal away and try to hold on for all the marbles. Pedigree says he'll like it shorter, but if he's left out there to wing it nothing would be out of the question. Remember, Trippi won the Flamingo at 1 1/8. Frisk Me Now liked this surface, and he turned out to be a pretty good horse.
3. El Prado Rob...Prado/120...Didn't like it on the front end in the Holy Bull. He really does best when he's allowed to settle a few lengths behind the leaders and make one BIG move. Now he'll pick up a couple of pounds and try it again.
4. Broadway View...Douglas/116...Hasn't shown he's fast enough for these on turf, or dirt.
5. Hopefortheroses...Aguilar/116...Hal's Hope's connections (son Barry takes over for the deceased Harold) are back to tackle the winter stakes at Gulfstream. He doesn't look at first glance like any threat. He'd have to have awful slow fractions to be in the hunt here. Likely to be outrun early.
6. Silver Wagon...Santos/120...Just ran the race of his life while failing to get up in the Holy Bull. One would question now what kind of gas he'll have left in the tank for this off of 3 weeks rest. He could regress a bit and still be formidable. Distance is questionable.
7. Second Of June...Velasquez/120...Likes the track as evidenced in the Holy Bull. His dad liked the track too. He has never regressed since his 2nd start and a move forward or even a pair-up here would put him in the winner's circle. 8 straight bullet works.
8. Read The Footnotes...Bailey/122...He gets his stamina from the dam-side and it's a good thing as his sire is sprinter, Smoke Glacken. The Remsen winner will get Bailey back and he has had some real nice works at Palm Meadows. Is he tight enough here after two months off?
Read The Footnotes will likely need a race. If not for the clunker in the Champagne, he would enter this odds-on. Probably won't get 1 1/4, but turning back from 1 1/8 will help his chances.
Tough call between Second Of June and the former. This one has done nothing wrong and should be right there.
Frisky Spider will be on the lead and will probably have to relinquish it nearing the 1/16 pole. How much of a piece can he hang on for.
Sir Oscar to round out the super.
1. Read The Footnotes
2. Second Of June
3. Frisky Spider
Best of luck everyone!