The Sunshine Millions Turf
9th @ Gulfstream
2. Stormy Roman...Smith/122...Last year's Derby-winning jock Smith not having a banner meet either (5%). Finished a close-up 3rd at Monmouth in the G3 Oceanport in August. Could be primed for similar here. Not a bad shot at exotics with a 20-1 morning-line hanging around his neck.
3. Gin And Sin...Castellano/122...In the money 14 of 23 times on the grass. Had a nice tightener here on the 8th. Could be primed for career best which would get him at least 4th.
4. Silver Tree...Bailey/122...By this time we'll know how Jerry's day is going, and without a mount in the 10th this will be the swan-song of a fabulous career. I can't imagine him thinking that Silver Tree would be his last mount, but I guess when it's time to go, you know it. As for Silver Tree, he's been working up a storm at Payson this month. I know Bill wants Jerry to go out a winner, we all do, but he will be the most overbet horse all day, simply because of the circumstances, none of which can help him win.
5. Eastern Sand...Prado/120...Don't like many Cal shippers in these races. Don't like the trainer here. He'll probably win by 10 because of that sweet angle. Does look poised, 2nd off the layoff, to run BIG here. Finished a surprising 2nd in the Oak Tree Derby. Well, I guess it wasn't too surprising given the conditioner. Can't see it, likely to take some cash, but not mine.
6. Dream On Dream On...Leyva/120...No way. Nuh uh. No how.
7. Willow O Wisp...Valenzuela/120...Coming off 3 straight graded wins in Cal, he led for a mile at Sha Tin in that $2.3Million race, all as a 3 year-old. Back in the States, he's burning it up at Santa Anita in the morning. He should win for fun, right? Not so fast, cause I don't think he is. just an average Joe until Cerin got hold of him. Hmmm.
8. Night Dash...DeCarlo/120...He'll still be running Saturday night, hence the name. Sorry for the shot, but no way he belongs.
9. Captain Squire...Solis/122...Mullins again! Uggg. Probably stronger on the dirt. That's how I'll play him.
10. We All Love Aleyna...Bejarano/122...Beaten just 2 lengths in the Knickerbocker after being wide twice. He'll be 2nd off the layoff here after keeping fit nicely at Santa Anita. Good shot, and he's fast enough if Bejarano can carve out any kind of trip.
11. Touched By Madness...Bridgmohan/120...Yes they are, cause he has zero shot here.
12. Icy Atlantic...Velasquez J/122...Have to respect everything Pletcher throws at you at this point, though he did thaw to a near earth-bound 32% for the meet this week. IA hasn't won for quite some time. That streak should continue.
13. Ballonenostrikes...Lezcano/122...Like his chances a little, if he gets in. Post is no picnic. 30-1 would be sweet.
14. Be My Buddy...Blanc/122...Ditto here. Love Motion in these spots. If he's in, I'll use him.
I'm going with We All Love Aleyna on top. I'm hoping he gets good position into the first turn. If so, he'll be tough to hold off with his running style.
Though Silver Tree looks like the one to beat, I couldn't put him on top knowing how soundly he'll be overbet.
Willow O Wisp will be interesting to watch on the board. His record shouts standout. I just don't know.
I'll use Ballonenostrikes and Be My Buddy underneath if they get in.nvade the Super at huge odds. Hey, it beats Puzzlement at 7/2!
1. We All Love Aleyna
2. Silver Tree
3. Willow O Wisp
Best of luck everyone!
© 2006 bBra