The 48th Donn Handicap
10th @ Gulfstream
1a. Andromeda's Hero...Bejarano/115...Hasn't raced since mid-December at Calder and has only one race over this strip. Fu Pegs are getting some crazy mud numbers, and track will most likely be off. A good set-up for him. Nice work here on the 28th.
1x. Pie's Prospect...Rose/114...Finished 19 lengths back in this spot last year. A similar spot this year?
2. On Thin Ice...Bridgmohan/116...Might have run too fast right off the bench. Effort was easily a career best, and now he'll have to follow that 4 weeks later after being off since October in the previous. Will take some play as well.
3. Suave...Prado/117...Prado gaining ground in the jock's race this week. May need this one off the shelf, but he's put in some nice works for this. Dead tight effort in the Classic last year may be a sign of things to come.
4. West Virginia...DeCarlo/113Appears to be tailing off as of late, be he does have super trainer Pletcher in his corner. There is no doubt he'll be ready. Probably not enough though.
5. Magna Graduate...Velasquez/119...Should probably be played on name alone, but I don't do that. My wife can, but not me. Pletcher must have horses at every barn in South Florida. Hell, I'd be surprised if he isn't training my neighbor's horse, Thunder at this point! Working well. Will he like the distance with this much pressure.
6. Super Frolic...Velasquez C./118...Sure looks good at this distance, turning back now off the layoff, with a screaming work here earlier in the week. He's set up well. Finished 3rd on this strip last year in the Artax. He'll like it off and it looks as though he'll get it.
7. Brass Hat...Martinez/118...Should like the grass but it seems in spite of his breeding he prefers the hard track. May be a bit tired as this is his 3rd race in just over 6 weeks, after being off on extended vacation.
Super Frolic gets top billing here. I like the way he's coming into this.
Andromeda's Hero could freak and blow these away. Likely little value with the coupling though. Like that FuPeg breeding on my side for a wet surface.
Suave will be tough with a clean trip, something Prado has no problem with.
1. Super Frolic
2. Andromeda's Hero
Best of luck everyone!
© 2006 bBra