The 131st Preakness Stakes
12th @ Pimlico-All carry 126
2. Platinum Couple...Espinoza...Beaten 10+ lengths in the weak Wood. Not nearly fast enough. Why do people treat their animals like this?
3. Hemmingway's Key...Rose...Another not nearly fast enough. He won a $24k allowance at Calder in December. Not close in any prep this year. Zito knows better. However, it's likely that Steinbrenner doesn't.
4. Greeley's Legacy...Migliore...Flattened out but was close at Keeneland, which is what good horses do. Didn't like the slop at Aqueduct. No harm no foul. Was gaining gamely in the Gotham. Might add some meat to the tri and super. Not likely to climb higher than that.
5. Brother Derek...Solis...Had an outside trip most of the way at Churchill. That spells doom in a 20-horse field loaded with speed. Finished gamely to DH for 4th. Plus he threw a shoe. Anything at all goes right for him and he is a clear 2nd. I would still be cashing tickets if that were the case. He ran within himself and is likely to run close to the same effort today. That should beat all but one.
6. Barbaro...Prado....And here's that one. This horse walks easily today. Not a question in my mind that he pairs-up that career best he ran two weeks ago. If Edgar can conserve some fuel we will see a Triple Crown winner. If it's a tough effort I will want to see how he comes into New York before proclaiming him "King". However, I already have my flight and hotel booked for Belmont weekend. Meet me at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square late Saturday evening, June 10, for a toast to the 12th Triple Crown winner.
7. Sweetnorthernsaint...Desormeaux...I kind of soured on him before the Derby, and was glad he was eating cash late. He ran game, but really packed it in around the turn. I'm beginning to believe we saw his best in Illinois, and may not see that again from him soon. I'll use him defensively in lower posts in the super, only cause I have to. I'm leaning towards tossing altogether.
8. Bernardini...Castellano....You have to like the way he annexed the Withers in only his 3rd start, but I wonder if this isn't too much too soon. His breeding says this won't be a problem. The jump from a mile to 1 3/16 is quite a stretch though, especially off of 3 weeks into his 4th start. I'll use in 2-4th for the super, just in case, but really believe Greeley's Legacy has a better chance at the bottom of the tri.
9. Diabolical...Dominguez...Will burn it early from outside, and will most likely finish last, or very close to last.
Barbaro has plenty left in the tank to add the Woodlawn Vase to his collection.
Brother Derek will get closer this time.
Greeley's Legacy should be closing stoutly, but probably will not threaten the top two.
Bernardini could be a special animal as well. Maybe pushing him here a bit though.
2. Brother Derek
3. Greeley's Legacy
Best of luck everyone!
© 2006 bBra